Chicken Noodle Soup with Saffron
Serves 6-8 with a salad.
- 1 whole chicken – 4-5 lbs
- 2 Tbsp. Heirloom Salt + Pepper Ghee
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 onion – cut up for broth
- 1 cup carrots – diced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 large garlic cloves – minced
- 1/4 Teas. dried thyme
- 1/2 Teas. crumbled saffron threads
- 8 oz dried medium egg noodles
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley – chopped
- 2 Tbsp. celery leaves – minced
- Unrefined salt to taste
- Fresh ground ack pepper to taste
- Cover the whole chicken with water in large pot.
- Add celery leaves and onion wedges to the broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover partially and simmer until chicken is cooked through about 1 hour.
- Using tongs, remove chicken pieces and giblets from broth. Cool slightly.
- Remove skin from breasts and leg-thigh pieces and tear or cut into bite sized pieces.
- Strain broth into large bowl. Skim fat from surface of broth and discard.
- Melt ghee in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and thyme.
- Cover; cook until vegetables soften, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until vegetables are almost tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add saffron and noodles and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup chicken; simmer until noodles are tender, about 5 minutes. Add parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a teaspoon of ghee in the bowl.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!