Ham and Bean Soup
Getting an uncured, smoked ham hock from a farmer you know well makes ALL the difference in the overall flavor of this delicious and satiating soup!
- 2 shallots; diced
- 4 stalks of celery; diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots; peeled and diced small
- 5 garlic cloves; minced
- 2 15oz cans cannellini beans; rinsed incessantly!
- 2 15oz cans pinto beans; rinsed incessantly!
- 6 cups organic chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Original Ghee; divided
- 1 uncured, smoked whole ham hock
- 3 small bay leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves; add more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chives; chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley; fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon good salt
- 1.5 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- Heat a saute pan and melt 1 tablespoon of Original Ghee.
- Add the shallots and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes till they become translucent.
- Add the carrots and cook for another 2-3 minutes, then add minced garlic and continue to cook till you smell the garlic.
- Stir to incorporate all the veggies. Remove from pan and add to a slow cooker.
- Add all the beans, chicken stock, ham hock and the herbs/spices to the slow cooker. Stir till ingredients are blended well, put on lid, turn heat on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Stir periodically.
- When finished, discard the bay leaves.
- Remove 1.5 cups of soup and blend with an immersion blender (or blender) till it becomes a little blended/thicker. Add it back to the slow cooker and stir.
- Add the remaining ghee, lemon juice and adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
We think this soup’s flavor is incredible after resting for 2 days in the fridge! Great with a good salad or crusty bread and butter. Our other savory flavors of ghee work well with this recipe too. Serves 4 with leftovers!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!