Learn all about black garlic, what it is, the benefits, it’s tendency to harden, and what you can do if that happens.
What Is Black Garlic?
Black garlic is aged white garlic.
Through a natural process involving time, temperature and humidity plus a few proprietary techniques, it texture changes from a firm, white bulb to a soft, black bulb.
The robust flavor of garlic lessens to a sweet, slightly smoky and savory taste.
Five Benefits of Black Garlic
- It contains 2X the antioxidants of white garlic which we already know it is loaded with them.
- Black garlic has anti-inflammatory benefits! Just like turmeric does.
- Black garlic contains antiviral, anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties that fight germs.
- The aroma of black garlic will never hang on your breath or body like white garlic! :-O
- Mixed into ghee not only makes anything taste divine (especially steaks), the ghee also aids in absorption of those incredible antioxidants!
Black Garlic Tends To Harden and What To Do About It
Black Garlic Tends to Harden because the ONE thing black garlic attracts is moisture! Being hygroscopic not only means it is prone to attracting moisture, it will harden or cake-up all on its own.
At Simply Ghee we NEVER add any anti-caking agents or fillers or those nasty desiccators to our DIY mixes. This means our Black Garlic DIY Mix could harden in the tin. This hardening is to be expected, and is a sign of a high quality mix.
To use if it has hardened, to use your DIY Mix simply scrape the mix out of the tin with a fork and then pinch it in your fingers to break it apart. Another option is to remove your mix from the tin and place it between parchment paper. Take a rolling pin or glass and lightly roll it with some pressure to break it apart. Or you can simply remove it from the tin, place it on a cookie sheet in a warm oven for at least 15-20 minutes till it dries out. Remove and cool and then grind it down to a powder using fork, mortar and pestle or even a small herb grinder.
Some folks will store the Black Garlic DIY tin in a tightly lidded container filled with rice to help keep moisture at bay. Keep it in your pantry – NEVER the fridge!
This all seems like a lot of work but at the end of the day it is SO worth it! Black Garlic is a game-changer both in flavor and healthy benefits.