To make bone broth all you need is a large pot (or slow cooker) water, vinegar and bones. In order to make the most nutritious broth, it’s best to use a variety of bones — marrow bones, oxtail, knuckles and feet. However nothing beats good old chicken broth. Find your assortment at your local butcher or farmers market. Look for pasture-raised, grass-fed and sustainably sourced bones since these animals have been raised naturally. Vinegar is a very important ingredient because it helps extract all the valuable nutrients from the bones. Simply do the following 7 steps:
- Start by rinsing the bones, and placing them in a BIG pot (3-5 lbs).
- Cover them completely with water.
- Add 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in any onions, carrots, celery, garlic, herbs of your choice. Parsley, rosemary, thyme are great to add.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for at least 12 – 24 hrs. Leave on very low overnight on the stove, with the lid slightly ajar.
- Allow the broth to cool. Strain it into a large container or clean glass jars. Discard all the solids.
Freeze it in batches of 6-8 cups to use for homemade soups and sauces. It’s also yummy as a snack with a teaspoon of any of our savory or Original Ghee products.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!