Turkey Vegetable Soup
The perfect way to use up leftover turkey and broth made with the bones from Thanksgiving's bird! Serves 4-5.
- 6-8 cups turkey broth
- 2-4 cups left over turkey meat
- 2 tablespoons Original Ghee + some for garnishing
- 1/2 cup shallots; diced
- 1 cup chopped leeks; including light green parts
- 2 garlic cloves; minced
- 2 cups carrots; sliced round
- 2 cups celery; diced
- 2 cups green beans; cut into 1” pieces
- 1 large red skin potato; chopped into small pieces
- 1 yellow pepper; chopped
- 1 small zucchini; diced
- 6 medium Cremini mushrooms; sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes; diced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 14.5 oz. can organic tomatoes; diced
- 1 teaspoon good salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh squeezed lemon to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons ghee in a stock pot. Add shallots, leeks, carrots, celery, yellow pepper, potato and garlic. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes or till slightly softened.
- Add all of the broth and stir till incorporated.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil for a few minutes. Reduce heat to simmer and allow the soup to cook for at least 20 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and mushrooms and the turkey meat and continue to cook for at least 10 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and season with more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Add fresh lemon juice to the pot right before serving. Add a small dollop of ghee to your soup bowl to make it even more satiating!
You may also use a slow cooker – following the same instructions for cooking. Black Garlic Ghee, Heirloom Salt+Pepper and Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee are also good in this recipe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!