Curried Split Pea Dahl
Serves 4 generously with rice and a side veggie.
- 1 cup dried split peas; soaked for 3-4 hour and rinsed OR prepped using the Quick Method*
- 2 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper; optional
- 2 tablespoons Original Ghee
- 1/2 cup shallots or scallions; diced
- 2 teaspoons good salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Place rinsed, soaked peas into a pan with the filtered water.
- Stir in the turmeric, curry powder and cayenne.
- Over medium heat, bring to boil and then reduce heat and cover partially. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until all the water has evaporated. Peas should be tender and beginning to disintegrate. If too thick, slowly add more water for desired consistency.
- In a small fry pan, heat 1 tablespoon ghee.
- Add the fennel, coriander and cumin seeds along with the shallot and sauté until the seeds release their aroma and the shallots are lightly brown. Set aside.
- Stir the cooked seeds, shallots, salt, pepper and remaining ghee into the split peas.
Serve with white or brown basmati rice. When rice is done, stir in Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee and season with salt and pepper to taste. *Quick Method 1. Rinse the beans under cool running water. Check and discard any stones or other debris. Drain. 2. Transfer to the saucepan and cover with about 2 inches of water. 3. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Cook the beans for 1 minute, and then remove the pot from the heat. 4. Cover with a lid and let the beans to soak in the warm water for 1 hour. 5. Drain the beans into a colander. Rinse and begin to cook according to your recipe
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!