Three Bean Vegetable Soup
Serves 6 with leftovers
- 2 Tbsp. Original Ghee
- 1 cup onion – chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks – white and light green parts only
- 4 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 cup celery – sliced
- 2 cups carrots – sliced
- 6 -7 cups veggie or chicken broth – preferably homemade, reserve ½ cup
- 1 – 15 oz can of EACH: cannellini, pinto and black beans – rinsed incessantly
- 1 in medium zucchini – sliced
- 2 Large tomatoes – diced
- 2 cups kale – cut up small like confetti
- 1 cup pre-cooked rice
- 1 Tbsp. EACH: dried parsley, thyme, basil, oregano
- 1 Teas. ground turmeric
- 1 Teas. black pepper
- ½ – 1 Teas. chili pepper flakes – optional
- 1.5-2 Teas. salt – Use good salt
- 1-2 lemons – juiced
- In a stock pot, melt the ghee. Add the onions, leeks and celery and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring till the onions begin to sweat.
- Add garlic, carrots and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth (reserve ½ cup) to the pot, along with the beans, tomatoes and stir till incorporated. Bring to boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add all the seasonings + zucchini, kale and allow to continue to simmer for 20+ minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add precooked rice.
- In the meantime, combine ½ cup broth and 1 cup of beans in a separate pot and heat. Once it’s hot, using an immersion blend or regular blend, blend them together. Add it to the pot to increase the density of the soup somewhat. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with grilled garlic bread, grilled P & J sandwiches or good ole crusty bread and butter
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!