Loaded Cauliflower Soup
This soup is a riff on loaded potato soup but way lower in carbs and just as filling! Serves 4-6.
- 6 slices bacon; chopped
- 1 cup leeks
- 1/2 cup celery root or stalks; chopped
- 4 cloves garlic; minced
- 8 cups chopped cauliflower florets and stems; (2 1/2lb head)
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock; best with homemade
- 1 teaspoon good sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese; grated
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a frying pan, over medium heat, cook bacon until very crisp, 5-7 minutes. Using tongs transfer bacon to paper towels to drain and cool. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings and discard the rest. Break up bacon into small bits once it has cooled and dried to crispy.
- To a medium size pot, add the bacon drippings, leeks, celery root/stalks and garlic. Increase heat to medium-high and cook stirring often until crisp-tender, about 5 mins.
- Add cauliflower, stock, salt and pepper – bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 mins until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Pour mixture into a blender (carefully!!) or use an immersion blender. Add the half and half and blend till nice and smooth.
- Return mixture to pan and cook until thoroughly warmed. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with bacon, cheese, parsley and chives, croutons….
To Make Croutons: Slice your bread of choice and cut into 1/4” cubes. Melt 2 tablespoons of Honey Ghee and add dill or any other herb, salt, pepper and mix everything together. Spread out on a cookie sheet and place into a 375F preheated oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on crunchy you want them. Remove from oven and cool. May use any of our ghee products to make croutons.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!