Chicken Rice Soup
Best to make your own *broth but store bought chicken broth will work too.
- 1 whole organic chicken; 3-4lbs
- 3 stalks celery; diced
- 1 leek; chopped, white and light green parts only
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 5 medium carrots; chopped
- 2+ tablespoons Original Ghee
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 10 threads saffron
- 1/2 cup white Basmati rice; soaked overnight and rinsed very well
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons good salt
- 1 teaspoons freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley; finely chopped
Homemade Chicken Broth Ingredients
- 1 whole chicken can use some of the meat for other meals
- filtered water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Bay leaf
- 2 onions; quartered
- 4 carrots; chopped in chunks
- 3 celery stalks; chopped in chunks
- handful mixed fresh herbs; oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage…
- 1 teaspoon Redmond's Real Salt; or more to taste
To Make Homemade Chicken Broth
- Find simple instructions in the note section below.
Chicken Rice Soup Instructions
- In a stock pot, melt the ghee.
- Add leeks, celery and celery seed and sauté till softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and garlic and continue to sauté for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add chives, oregano, dried parsley and cooked chicken. Add at least 2 cups of chicken meat. Cook for about 5 minutes till flavors are incorporated.
- Add 5 cups of chicken broth. Bring to boil and then turn heat down to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add rice, salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes or so. Soup will be done when the rice is cooked fully. If the soup is too thick, heat the last cup of chicken broth and add it to the pot.
- Toss in the fresh parsley and give it a good stir. You may also add a nice squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
- Allow the soup to cool completely. This soup is best the next day.
*To make homemade chicken broth: Place washed chicken into pot and barely cover with water. Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and allow the chicken to soak for 1 hour. Turn on heat and bring to a boil. Once it boils, begin skimming all the white foam off – these are the impurities. Once it’s clean, reduce heat to low-medium and add any amount of onion, carrots, and celery along with bay leaf and any fresh herbs you like. Put lid on pot half-way and allow the whole chicken and all the goodies to cook for about 2-3 hours. Check the chicken after 2 hours to see if its done. The internal temp is 165 F without the thermometer touching any bones). Once chicken is done, remove it from the pot and allow to cool slightly. Remove the chicken from the bones. If you like, you can toss the bones back into the pot for the last hour of cooking. Cut or shred both white and dark meat for the soup. Save the rest for other meals. After 3 hours, strain the broth to remove all the veggies and herbs – toss them. Allow the broth to cool if you plan on freezing it or you may continue to make the soup at this point. Be careful – it is HOT! Can also use Black Garlic Ghee, Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee and Heirloom Salt + Pepper Ghee in place of Original Ghee.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!