A most amazing comfort food – great served with a fresh salad.
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 2 shallots; diced
- 3 garlic cloves; minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 2 tablespoons BBQ mesquite seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Pluck seasoning
- 1 cup tomatoes; chopped into nice size chunks
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies (corn peas, carrots, green beans)
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes; peeled and chunked
- 1/2+ cup warmed milk
- 2-4 tablespoons butter for mashed potatoes
- 2+ tablespoons Black Garlic Ghee
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice; Extra Sharp, Gouda are great
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a pan add potatoes, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until they can easily be pierced with a fork. Drain till they are very dry and place back into pan. Add warmed milk, butter and salt and pepper and whip to your desired consistency. Set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a medium-sized saute pan, melt a teaspoon or more of ghee and cook the shallots till slightly translucent.
- Add the ground beef and brown. Toss in garlic and all the seasonings and continue to cook till you begin to smell the herbs. Set aside.
- Grease a casserole dish with ghee or butter and layer the bottom with the ground beef. Sprinkle a little extra BBQ mesquite here if you like along with some good salt and pepper.
- Layer the mixed frozen veggies on top of the beef. Next layer the mashed potatoes.
- Add dollops of Black Garlic Ghee on top of the potatoes and bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes.
- If you are adding cheese, place on top of mashed potatoes for an additional 5 minutes.
- You can use any of our savory ghee products in place of Black Garlic Ghee.
Cottage Pie is just like Shepherds Pie only made with ground beef instead of ground lamb. Can also add sliced mushrooms to the ground beef. Pluck is an all purpose seasoning blend of dried organ meat. Grass-fed bovine organ meats used are heart, liver, kidney, spleen and pancreas. Organ meats are the most nutrient dense food one can consume and Pluck tastes NOTHING like organ meat! Savory with an Umami flavor profile along with garlic and other wonderful organic herbs, this is a game changer for our cottage pie recipe. Find it under our Shop Now button.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!