- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
- 2 shallots – diced
- 3 Garlic cloves – minced
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasonings
- 1-2 Tbsp. BBQ mesquite seasoning
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies – (corn peas, carrots, green beans)
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes – peeled and chunked
- 1/2 cup warmed milk – or more
- 2-4 Tbsp. butter for mashed potatoes
- 2+ Tbsp. Black Garlic Ghee
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice – optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a pan add potatoes, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until they can easily be pierced with a fork. Drain till they are very dry and place back into pan. Add warmed milk, butter and salt and pepper and whip to your desired consistency. Set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a medium-sized saute pan, melt a teaspoon or more of ghee and cook the shallots till slightly translucent. Add the ground beef and brown. Toss in garlic and seasonings and continue to cook till you begin to smell the herbs. Set aside.
- Grease a casserole dish with ghee or butter and layer the bottom with the ground beef. Sprinkle a little extra BBQ mesquite here if you like along with some good salt and pepper.
- Layer the mixed frozen veggies on top of the beef. Next layer the mashed potatoes.
- Add dollops of Black Garlic Ghee on top of the potatoes and bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes.
- If you are adding cheese, place on top of mashed potatoes for an additional 5 minutes.
- You can use any of our savory ghee products in place of Black Garlic Ghee.
Cottage Pie is just like Shepherds Pie only made with ground beef instead of ground lamb. Serves 8 generously.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!