Curry Chicken Stew
Warm your heart and belly! 4-6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Simply Ghee Original
- 1 lbs. boneless chicken thighs or breast – cut into 1” pieces
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup finely sliced leeks – packed, include the very light green part
- 1 cup sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 6 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (1” long)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric root – use a glove while grating (1” long)
- 2 cups chicken broth (preferably unsalted)
- 1 cup unsweetened full coconut milk (find a canned coconut milk like Native Forest without added sugars. Open can and stir till blended)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro – finely chopped
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon Simply Ghee Original over medium heat. Add chicken, cook, and stir till lightly browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Drain off fat.
- In a saucepan, melt 1 teaspoon of Original Ghee; add leeks and sauté till soft. Add 1 tablespoon of Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee and when melted, add carrots, garlic, ginger, and fresh turmeric and cook till carrots have softened slightly. Add mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes. Add chicken. In a bowl, combine the chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder, and salt. Pour over mixture and continue to cook. Bring to a light boil and then reduce to low-medium heat and cook for 25 minutes or till carrots are at the desired softness.
- Cover and cook on low-medium heat to simmer. Check the carrots for desired softness.
- Before serving add chopped cilantro and lemon juice.
- If you prefer, you may add steamed rice to your bowl. Omit for both Paleo and Whole30 diets.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!