Slow and Comfy Chili
This recipe looks like a lot of work but only takes 20 minutes to prep. Sauté your onions and celery, brown your ground beef right afterwards, open your cans, rinse and drain, measure your spices and literally toss it all into your slow cooker – set on low and go!
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef; browned ahead of time
- 2 tablespoons Original Ghee; divided
- 1 cup onion; diced
- 1 cup celery; diced
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers; use assorted colors
- 4 – 5 garlic cloves; minced
- 1 24 oz. jar strained tomato juice; or 2 10.75 oz. cans of tomato puree
- 2 15 oz. cans dark red kidney beans; drained and rinsed well
- 2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans; drained and rinsed well
- 1 15 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1.5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1.5 tablespoons dried basil
- 1.5 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce; optional
- Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee in a sauté pan. Add the onions and celery and sauté until onions are translucent. Add the peppers and garlic and continue to sauté till the peppers are a bit soft. Toss into the slow cooker.
- In the same pan, melt another tablespoon of ghee, place the ground beef in the pan, breaking up the beef into pieces as you stir. Once the beef is browned, toss it into the slow cooker.
- Rinse all canned beans well. Add the beans, entire can of tomatoes, the pureed tomato juice and all your seasonings: chili powder, red pepper flakes, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper (and hot sauce if using).
- Mix well, cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Before serving, stir in 1 generous teaspoon of ghee into each bowl. It adds an incredible rich and savory taste.
Serves 6 nicely with a fresh salad and a crusty hunk of bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!