Slow and Comfy Chili
This recipe looks like a lot of work but only takes 20 minutes to prep. Sauté your onions and celery, brown your ground beef right afterwards, open your cans, rinse and drain, measure your spices and literally toss it all into your slow cooker – set on low and go!
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef browned ahead of time
- 2 Tbsp. Original Ghee + garnish ghee
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers use assorted colors
- 4 – 5 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 24 oz. jar strained tomato juice or 2 10.75 oz. cans of tomato puree
- 2 15 oz. cans dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed well
- 2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed well
- 1 15 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1.5 Tbsp. Chili powder
- 1 Teas. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1.5 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1.5 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1.5 Teas. sea salt
- 1 Teas. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce optional
- Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee in a sauté pan. Add the onions and celery and sauté until onions are translucent. Add the peppers and garlic and continue to sauté till the peppers are a bit soft. Toss into the slow cooker.
- In the same pan, melt another tablespoon of ghee, place the ground beef in the pan, breaking up the beef into pieces as you stir. Once the beef is browned, toss it into the slow cooker.
- Rinse all canned beans well. Add the beans, entire can of tomatoes, the pureed tomato juice and all your seasonings: chili powder, red pepper flakes, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper (and hot sauce if using).
- Mix well, cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Before serving, stir in 1 generous teaspoon of ghee into each bowl. It adds an incredible rich and savory taste.
Serves 6 nicely with a fresh salad and a crusty hunk of bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!