Turmeric Rice and Veggie Saute
Colorful and full of goodness, this easy recipe will get dinner on the table pronto! It may look like a lot of work but once you have the veggies prepped its a cinch. Add protein of your choice to complete the meal.
- 1 cup Basmati white rice (soaked for at least 4 hrs, rinsed well)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 Tbsp Original Ghee (use less or more to taste)
- 1/2 Teas. ground turmeric (add more or less to taste)
- 1 Teas. dried parsley
- 1/8 Teas. good salt (may need more or less to taste)
- generous sprinkling of black pepper (pepper helps turmeric to absorb)
- 1 Tbsp. roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 red, yellow, or green bell pepper, (remove seeds and white pith)
- 1/2 lb fresh asparagus (cut into 1' pieces)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot (chopped finely)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or finely diced)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (scant 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 Tbsp. Italian seasonings (grind them to release flavor)
- good salt and pepper to taste
- fresh squeezed lemon to taste
- Soak your rice for at least 4 hours or overnight. Then rinse incessantly till water runs clear.
- In a saucepan, add the rice, cover with 2 cups of water.
- With lid on, cook over medium-high heat till it begins to boil. Turn heat to low and allow most of the water to cook out. Once the water is almost gone, turn it off and remove from heat.
- Toss in the ghee, sprinkle the turmeric, parsley, salt and pepper on top of rice. DO NOT STIR! Put lid back on the pan and allow it to rest for up to 10 minutes.
- Before serving, toss the rice with a fork. Adjust seasoning – especially salt and pepper.
- Prepare all the veggies.
- In a saute pan, over medium heat melt the ghee. Add the shallots and allow to cook till they release aroma.
- Add carrots, peppers and mushrooms and saute for about 3-5 minutes. Add the asparagus and garlic and cook for another about 2 more minutes.
- Add the stock along with Italian seasoning, reduce heat slightly and allow to cook for up to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add a squeeze of lemon and remove from heat.
- Serve with rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!