Rice, Kale, Yam and Shrimp Bowl
- 1/2 cup Basamati or Jasmine rice
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 small organic yams or sweet potatoes – peeled and cut in 1″ pieces
- 1 small Bunch Kale – chopped like confetti – small
- 1 shallot – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 6-8 large shrimp – remove shells and clean
- 1 Teas. fennel seeds
- 1 Teas. smoked paprika
- 1 Teas. dried dill
- juice of 1 lemon – grate a little of the zest too
- 1 Tbsp. Original Ghee
- 1 Tbsp. Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee
- good salt and cracked pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil, add rice. Reduce heat to low and keep lid slightly ajar. Watch for overflowing!
- While the rice is cooking, place a half cup of water and peeled yams into a sauté pan. Over medium heat, bring to a boil and allow the yams to cook till water is absorbed – at least 5-7 minutes. May need to add a little more water if yams are still too firm. When to the right tenderness remove from pan.
- In the same pan, melt 1 tablespoon of Original Ghee, add the fennel seeds and cook for one minute. Toss in the shallot and allow to cook for about 2 minutes or till translucent.
- Add chopped kale and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Adding a couple splashes of water helps it to cook faster. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, add a small amount of Original Ghee and allow to melt. Add garlic, lemon, and shrimp. Sprinkle shrimp with sweet paprika and dill. Saute for about 2 minutes on each side. Shrimp cook very fast so once they are lightly pink they are done. They will continue to cook after you remove them from the heat.
- Once the rice is done, add the Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the yams and kale to the pan of rice and mix all together. Adjust seasonings and place in bowls. Top off with shrimp and serve.
- Serves 2 generously as a meal.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!